Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
Note that in the below * indicated corresponding author.
51. Discovery and characterization of a functional scFv for CCR2 inhibition via an extracellular loop. N Jasiewicz, A Brown, M Deci, S Matysiak, S Earp, J Nguyen*. Int J Pharm. 2022 Dec 24;632:122547. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2022.122547.
50. ZipperCells Exhibit Enhanced Accumulation and Retention at the Site of Myocardial Infarction. N. Jasiewicz, KC Mei, H. M. Oh, P. Chansoria, D. Hendy, E. Bonacquisti, E. Bachelder, K. Ainslie, H. Yin, L. Qian, B.Jensen, J. Nguyen*. Advanced Healthcare Materials, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/adhm.202201094, November 2022
Featured on the Cover
49. Translational drug delivery: Time to be Frank for future success. V. Venditto, J. Sockolosky, J. Nguyen* Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2022 Oct;189:114521. doi: 10.1016/j.addr.2022.114521. Epub 2022 Aug 25. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169409X22004112?via%3Dihub
48. Rationally Designed Anisotropic and Auxetic Hydrogel Patches for Adaptation to Dynamic Organs. P. Chansoria, J. Blackwell, E. Etter, E. Bonacquisti, N. Jasiewicz, T. Neal , S.Kamal, J. Hoque, S. Varghese, T. Egan, Juliane Nguyen* Advanced Functional Materials, August 2022 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adfm.202207590
47. A. Roth, M. Maruthamuthu, S. Nejati, A. Krishnakumar, V. Selvamani, S. Sedaghat, J. Nguyen, M. Seleem, R Rahim. Wearable adjunct ozone and antibiotic therapy system for treatment of Gram-negative dermal bacterial infection. Scientific Reports. August 2022 https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-17495-3
46. Salem AK, Nguyen J, Ainslie KM. The AAPS Journal Theme Issue: Rising Stars in Drug Delivery and Novel Carriers. AAPS J. 2022 Apr 5;24(3):51. doi: 10.1208/s12248-022-00700-6.
45. Nguyen J*, Fuhrmann G*. Extracellular Vesicles – A Versatile Biomaterial. Adv Healthc Mater. 2022 Mar;11(5):e2200192. doi: 10.1002/adhm.202200192.
44. Kasi V, Sedaghat S, Alcaraz AM, Maruthamuthu MK, Heredia-Rivera U, Nejati S, Nguyen J, Rahimi R. Low-Cost Flexible Glass-Based pH Sensor via Cold Atmospheric Plasma Deposition. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2022 Feb 23;14(7):9697-9710. doi: 10.1021/acsami.1c19805. Epub 2022 Feb 10.
43. E. Etter, KC Mei, J. Nguyen*. Delivering more for less: nanosized, minimal-carrier and pharmacoactive drug delivery systems, Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 2021
42. L. Kass and J. Nguyen*. Nanocarrier-Hydrogel Composite Delivery Systems for Precision Drug Release. WIREs Nanomedicine & Nanobiotechnology, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1002/wnan.1756
41. E. Bonacquisti, S. Ferguson, N. Jasiewicz, J. Wang, A. Brown, D. Keeley, M. Itano, J. Nguyen*. Fluorogenic EXO-Probe Aptamers for Imaging and Tracking Exosomal RNAs. doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.08.18.456703
40. P. Chansoria, E. Etter, J. Nguyen*. Regenerating dynamic organs using biomimetic patches. Trends Biotechnol. 2021 Aug 16:S0167-7799(21)00155-4. doi: 10.1016/j.tibtech.2021.07.001
38. Abdulnasser Harfoush, M. Hannig, DD Le, S. Heck, M. Leitner, AJ Omlor, I. Tavernaro, A. Kraegeloh, R. Kautenburger, G. Kickelbick, A. Beilhack, M. Bischoff, J.Nguyen, M. Sester, R. Bals, QT. Dinh. High-dose intranasal application of titanium dioxide nanoparticles induces the systemic uptakes and allergic airway inflammation in asthmatic mice. Respir Res. 2020 Jul 2;21(1):168. doi: 10.1186/s12931-020-01386-0.
37. . MiR-101a loaded Extracellular Nanovesicles as Bioactive Carriers for Cardiac Repair. accepted to Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, March 2020 https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.28.970269v1
36. J. Wang, E. Bonacquisti, A. Brown, J. Nguyen*. Boosting the biogenesis and secretion of mesenchymal stem cell-derived exosomes. Cells, March 2020, https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4409/9/3/660
35. M. Deci, M. Liu, J. Gonya, C. Lee, S. Ferguson, T. Li, E. Bonacquisti, and J. Nguyen*. Carrier-free CXCR4-targeted Nanoplexes Designed for Polarizing Macrophages to Suppress Tumor Growth. Special Issue: CMBE – Young Innovator, July 2019, https://rdcu.be/bPIx3
34. Zhao, Y. Liu, Z. Wang, R. He, J. Zhang, F. Xu, M. Lei, M. Deci, J. Nguyen and PR Bianco. Super-resolution imaging reveals changes in Escherichia coli SSB localization in response to DNA damage, Genes to Cells, in press, Oct. 2019
33. A Harfoush, J. Nguyen, S. Heck, A. Mahdy, R. Bals and QT Dinh. Nanoparticles and air pollutants as potential stimulators of asthmatic reaction, Frontiers in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, in press, Oct. 2019
32. Bonacquisti E, Nguyen J*. Connexin 43 (Cx43) in Cancer: Implications for Therapeutic Approaches via Gap Junctions. Cancer Letters, 2019 Feb 1;442:439-444.
31. Wang J, Seo MJ, Deci MB, Weil B, Canty JM, Nguyen J*. Effect of CCR2 inhibitor-loaded lipid micelles on inflammatory cell migration and cardiac function after myocardial infarction. International Journal of Nanomedicine, https://doi.org/10.2147/IJN.S178650, August 2018
30. U. Sharma, S.D. Sonkawade, J. Spernyak, S. Sexton, J. Nguyen, H. van Berlo, S. Pokharel, A Small Peptide Ac-SDKP Inhibits Radiation-Induced Cardiomyopathy. Circulation Research: Heart Failure, accepted May 2018.
29. Deci MB, Ferguson SW, Scatigno SL, Nguyen J.* Modulating Macrophage Polarization through CCR2 Inhibition and Multivalent Engagement. Mol Pharm. 2018 Jul 2;15(7):2721-2731. doi: 10.1021/acs.molpharmaceut.8b00237.
28. Ferguson S, Kim S, Lee C, Deci M, Nguyen J.* The Phenotypic Effects of Exosomes Secreted from Distinct Cellular Sources: a Comparative Study Based on miRNA Composition. AAPS J. 2018 Apr 30;20(4):67. doi: 10.1208/s12248-018-0227-4.
27. M. Deci, M. Liu, QT. Dinh, J. Nguyen*. Precision engineering of targeted nanocarriers, WIREs Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology, Wiley Interdiscip Rev Nanomed Nanobiotechnol. 2018 Feb 13. doi: 10.1002/wnan.1511.
26.S. W. Ferguson, J. Wang, C. J. Lee, M. Liu, S. Neelamegham, J. M. Canty, J. Nguyen*. The microRNA regulatory landscape of MSC-derived exosomes: a systems view. Scientific reports. 2018 January, http://rdcu.be/FmZn
25. J. Nguyen, SS. Hossain, JRN Cooke, JA Ellis, MB Deci, CW Emala, JN Bruce, IJ Bigio, RM Straubinger, S. Joshi. Flow arrest intra-arterial delivery of small TAT-decorated and neutral micelles to gliomas. J Neurooncol. 2017 May;133(1):77-85. doi: 10.1007/s11060-017-2429-5.
24. Omlor, R. Bals, J. Nguyen, QT. Dinh. Local Effects on Airway Inflammation and Systemic Uptake of 5 nm PEGylated and Citrated Gold Nanoparticles in Asthmatic Mice. Small, 2017 Mar;13(10). doi: 10.1002/smll.201603070.
23. M. B. Deci, S. W. Ferguson, M. Liu, D. C. Peterson, S. P. Koduvayur, J. Nguyen*. Utilizing clathrin triskelions as carriers for spatially controlled multi-protein display. Biomaterials. August 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2016.08.044
22. S.W. Ferguson, J. Nguyen*. Exosomes as therapeutics: The implications of molecular composition and exosomal heterogeneity. Journal of Controlled Release. 2016 Apr 28;228:179-190. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2016.02.037. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168365916301006?via%3Dihub
21. J. Nguyen, J.R. Cooke, J.A. Ellis, M. Deci, C.W. Emala, J.N. Bruce, I.J. Bigio, R.M. Straubinger, S. Joshi. Cationizable lipid micelles as vehicles for intraarterial glioma treatment. J Neurooncol. 2016.
20. JN Cooke, JA Ellis, S Hossain, J Nguyen, JN Bruce, J Joshi. Computational pharmacokinetic rationale for intra-arterial delivery to the brain. Drug Deliv Transl Res. 2016 Oct;6(5):622-9.
19. M. Beck-Broichsitter, O. Samsonova, J. Nguyen, T. Schmehl, W. Seeger, T. Kissel. Influence of amine-modified poly(vinyl alcohol)s on vibrating-membrane nebulizer performance and lung toxicity. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2016 Apr 30;86:34-40.
18. S. Heck, J. Nguyen, D.D. Le, R. Bals, Q.T. Dinh. Pharmacological Therapy of Bronchial Asthma: The Role of Biologicals. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2016; 168(4).
17. A.J. Omlor, J. Nguyen, R. Bals, Q.T. Dinh. Nanotechnology in respiratory medicine. Respir Res. 2015; 16.
16. J. Nguyen*, R. Sievers, J.P. Motion, S. Kivimae, Q. Fang, R.J. Lee*. Delivery of lipid micelles into infarcted myocardium using a lipid-linked matrix-metalloproteinase targeting peptide. Molecular Pharmaceutics. Feb. 2015 * Co-Corresponding Authors
15. C. Valentine, H. Zhang, P. Phuan, J. Nguyen, A. Verkman, P. Haggie. Small molecule screen yields inhibitors of pseudomonas homoserine lactone-induced host responses. Cell Microbiol. 2013 Aug 2. doi:10.1111/cmi.12176.
14. C. Walsh, J. Nguyen, M. Tiffany and F. Szoka. Synthesis, characterization and evaluation of ionizable lysine-based lipids for siRNA delivery. Bioconjugate Chemistry. Nov. 2012
13. M. Motion, J. Nguyen and F. Szoka. Phosphatase-triggered fusogenic liposomes for cytoplasmic delivery of cell-impermeable compounds. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. June 2012. Selected as a “Hot Paper” by the Editors for its importance in a rapidly evolving field of interest.
12. R. Reul, J. Nguyen, A. Biela, E. Marxer, U. Bakowsky, G. Klebe, T. Kissel. Non-toxic, biodegradable amine-modified hyperbranched polyester: Biophysical and biological investigation of DNA nano-complexes in vitro. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2012 Jul 17; 436 (1-2): 97-105.
11. J. Nguyen, C. Walsh, J.P. Motion, E. Perttu, F. Szoka. Controlled nucleation of lipid nanoparticles. Pharmaceutical Research. 2012 Aug; 29 (8): 2236-48.
10. C. Walsh, J. Nguyen and F. Szoka. Synthesis and characterization of novel zwitterionic lipids with pH-responsive biophysical properties. Chem Comm (Camb). 2012 Jun 7; 48 (45): 5575-7
9. J. Nguyen and F. Szoka. Nucleic acid delivery: the missing pieces of the puzzle. Accounts of Chemical Research. 2012 Jul 17; 45(7): 1153-62. One of the journal’s 20 most downloaded articles in March 2012
8. J. Nguyen, R. Reul, S. Roesler, E. Dayyoub, T. Schmehl, T. Gessler, W. Seeger and T. Kissel. Amine-modified poly(vinyl alcohol)s as non-viral vectors for siRNA delivery: Effects of the degree of amine substitution on physicochemical properties and knockdown efficiency. Pharmaceutical Research. 2010 Dec; 27 (12): 2670-827.
7. M. Beck-Broichsitter, M. Thieme, J. Nguyen, T. Schmehl, T. Gessler, W. Seeger, T. Kissel, A. Greiner. Novel “nano in nano” composites for controlled drug delivery: Biodegradable nanoparticles encapsulated into nanofiber nonwovens. Macromolecular Bioscience. 2010 Dec 8;10(12):1527-35
6. J. Nguyen, R. Reul, T. Betz, E. Dayyoub, T. Schmehl, T. Gessler, U. Bakowsky, W. Seeger and T. Kissel. Nanocomposites of lung surfactant and biodegradable cationic nanoparticles improve transfection efficiency to lung cells. Journal of Controlled Release. 2009 Nov 16;140(1):47-54
5. R. Reul, J. Nguyen, T. Kissel. Amine-modified hyperbranched polyesters as non-toxic, biodegradable gene delivery systems. Biomaterials. 2009 Oct;30(29):5815-24
4. Y. Liu, J. Nguyen, T. Steele, O. Merkel, T. Kissel. A new synthesis method and degradation of hyper-branched polyethylenimine grafted polycaprolactone block mono-methoxyl poly (ethylene glycol) copolymers (hy-PEI-g-PCL-b-mPEG) as potential DNA delivery vectors. Polymer. 2009, 50 (16), 3895-3904
3. J. Nguyen, T. Steele, O. Merkel, R. Reul, T. Kissel. Fast degrading polyesters as siRNA nano-carriers for plumonary gene therapy. Journal of Controlled Release. 2008 Dec 18; 132(3): 243-51
2. J. Nguyen, X. Xie, M. Neu, R. Dumitrascu, R. Reul, R. Schermuly, L. Fink, T. Schmehl, T. Gessler, W. Seeger and T. Kissel. Effects of cell-penetrating peptides and pegylation on transfection efficiency of polyethylenimine in mouse lungs. Journal of Gene Medicine. 2008 Nov;10(11):1236-46.
1. E. Rytting, J. Nguyen, X. Wang and T. Kissel. Biodegradable polymeric nanocarriers for pulmonary drug delivery. Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery. 2008 Jun;5(6):629-639
1. S. Ferguson, J. Megna, J. Nguyen*. Composition, physicochemical and biological properties of exosomes secreted from cancer cells. Book entitled “Diagnostic and Therapeutic Applications of Exosomes in Cancer”, May 2018.
5. J. Nguyen and M, Deci. U.S. provisional patent application, titled “Compositions and methods to block and bind CXCR4 to modulate cellular function”, filed 12 June 2019.
4. J. Nguyen and M, Deci. U.S. provisional patent application, titled “Compositions and methods to block and bind CCR2 to modulate cellular function”, filed 13 May 2019.
3. J. Nguyen and S. Ferguson. Compositions and methods for programming extracellular vesicles. Filed 2018 May, US Patent WO2,018,209,182
2. T. Schmehl, J. Nguyen, M. Beck-Broichsitter, T. Gessler, M. Thieme, T. Kissel, (WO/2010/106063). Composite Materials Loaded with Therapeutic and Diagnostic Agents Comprising Polymer Nanoparticles and Polymer Fibers
1. F. Szoka, C. Walsh, V. Venditto, J. Nguyen, E. Perttu: Zwitterionic lipids. The Regents of the University of California Feb, 23 2012 (WO 2012/024233)